With the untimely deaths of so many campers being related to Carbon Monoxide poisoning each year, we were keen to team up with UKCampsite.co.uk to help raise awareness of the associated dangers.

Our friends at UKCampsite.co.uk say;

"BBQs and Carbon Monoxide - Important Please Read

Please note, although you may be tempted to put your barbeque in your tent, or tent porch, either during or after use, to keep you warm, DONT! It may kill you, and very quickly.

Carbon monoxide fumes from BBQs are invisible, odourless, and lethal. Even if you think it's safe, and the flames have died down, don't do it. The smouldering coals may be warm, but they will kill you. Even with the tent doors open. Even just in the porch. Please don't do it!

You can download a warning poster here. alerting of the dangers of carbon monoxide - why not laminate it and put it in your tent window, or maybe ask the next site you visit to put it up in their reception window. ( poster is a PDF file )

476_6-1

General Information

The burning of all fossil fuels produces carbon monoxide (CO) and there have been deaths and serious injuries from CO poisoning in tents and caravans.

Do not use fossil fuel stoves or disposable barbecues (for cooking or warmth) in an enclosed space with poor ventilation.

Don't use gas fridges or heaters inside tents.

Caravanners should have gas-powered appliances serviced annually.

Also don't be lulled into a safe sense of security just by having a carbon monoxide detector in your tent or awning. They are designed to be used in buildings, and sometimes caravans and motorhomes, but won't necessarily be fully effective in a tent or awing. Take one of course, but please don't rely solely on it and ignore the other precautions just because you have one.

General Fire Advice

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is issuing safety advice to caravanners and campers following a tragic fire on a Barmouth campsite in June 2011.
The fire in a caravan on Sunnysands Caravan Park, Talybont, near Barmouth, occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning (June 11), and claimed the lives of a 58 year old man and his 26 year old son.

His 50 year old wife escaped from the caravan and their two year old granddaughter was rescued. The grandmother has now been discharged from hospital after suffering burns and the young girl is in a critical but stable condition at the time of publication.

Gareth Griffiths, Senior Fire Safety Manager, said: "The devastating caravan fire which claimed two lives at the weekend is a reminder of just how destructive fire can be. My deepest condolences go out to the family and my thoughts are with the little girl who is currently receiving treatment

"Fires can strike at any time, anywhere - and it is important that we are all on our guard and try to do all that we can to keep our loved ones safe."

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is advising those planning a break in a caravan or tent to keep the advice below in mind:

  • Ensure tents or caravans are kept at least six metres apart.
  • Find out what the fire-fighting arrangements are on the campsite and where the nearest telephone is.
  • Fit an optical smoke alarm in your caravan
  • Keep a torch handy for emergencies. Do not use a candle.
  • Do not leave children alone in a caravan.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
  • Do not overload electric sockets or extension leads if you have access to a power supply and make sure electrical appliances are working correctly
  • Keep flammable liquids and gas cylinders away from tents.
  • Do not cook inside your tent.
  • Be prepared to cut your way out of your tent in the event of a fire.
  • If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP AND ROLL.
  • Oil burning appliances should not be used in or around tents.
  • Cooking appliances should not be used in small tents.
  • Do not smoke inside tents.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out straight away. Fires in tents and caravans spread very quickly.
  • Call the fire and rescue service.
  • Give a map reference, if possible. Otherwise give a landmark such as a farm or pub to help the fire and rescue service locate you."

Well done UKCampsite.co.uk.